*Please read this page!
- All dogs must pass a pre-entry evaluation (interview) before being admitted to South Paw Acres. Please bring the following to your interview: a copy of verification from your vet stating your dog is up to date on all vaccinations, including a Bordatella vaccine, and a negative fecal float within the last 6 months. You will also need to bring the completed Application for Enrollment and the Day Care Agreement, downloadable from the web site. There is a one-time fee of $10 for the interview. A complimentary day of day care is included to evaluate your dog’s behavior among other dogs. Once approved for the program, all dogs must have a reservation for day care and boarding services.
What To Expect
- The dogs at South Paw Acres will be active and probably play hard with some of the other dogs. Even with staff supervision, it is not uncommon for the dogs to get a little dirty, wet, or perhaps get a scrape or scratch from all the activity. This is the nature of the fun! Even though they nap during their play day, dogs are often very tired after a busy day at SPA and may go home and sleep for an extended period of time. This is normal! Just enjoy the extra quiet time you get that evening.
- Some dogs may act very differently in high energy play group situations than they do when in their normal environment. Dogs that tend to be nervous or anxious in routine situations are not usually suitable for this kind of interactive play. Should it become evident that your dog is exhibiting any aggressive behaviors, barking excessively, or showing signs of extreme anxiety, we may suggest that you seek alternative care for your dog. This is for the safety and harmonious interaction of all the dogs, as well as your own dog’s happiness.
- Day Care services are open Monday through Friday, and MU Football Saturdays, to dogs that pass a pre-screening interview and a trial day of day care. Money-saving pre-paid packages are offered and can be outlined for you upon request.
Food & Snacks
- SPA dogs are offered dog biscuit treats 2-3 times each day. Small rawhide chew treats or a dental chew bone may be offered as well. Should you want your dog to be fed a meal during day care, please plan to bring the food with you. Boarding dogs will need their food brought with them. All food must be clearly labeled with the owner and dog’s name. Please do not bring feeding bowls with you. We have plenty!
- Prescribed medications are administered at no charge.
Hours of Operation
- SPA is open by appointment only. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7-10 a.m. and 4-6 p.m., and Saturdays, 9-10 a.m. and 4-5 p.m. SPA is only open on Sundays from 4-5 p.m. for pick-up and drop-off of boarding dogs. Please let staff know your estimated time of arrival, whether dropping off or picking up your dog.
- SPA Day Care is closed on major holidays which include: Spring Break • Memorial Day • July 4th • Labor Day • Thanksgiving Break • Christmas & New Year’s Break. This allows us to better care for our overnight guests.
- In the event of Columbia Public School closing announcements, SPA will also be closed for the day. If you cannot pick up your dog due to dan-
gerous weather, no late fee will be assessed. Likewise, if staff feels the weather poses too great a threat to daily activities, you will be notified of cancellation of services for that day. Any pre-paid time or reservations at SPA can be rescheduled at no cost.
Bathing & Parasites
- It is expected that your pet arrive at SPA basically clean and free of all parasites (fleas, ticks, worms, etc.). Should your dog exhibit signs of any parasites, you will be notified and a treatment plan will be implemented at your expense. Baths are offered and charged according to size of dog. This includes a basic coat-conditioning shampoo and brushing. Nail trims are also offered, provided the dog will allow it to be done.
- In the event your dog becomes ill, you will be notified immediately. If you cannot be reached, your preferred vet will be contacted. You are re-
sponsible for charges of any reasonable medical treatment administered to your dog. A local vet is on call for SPA and may be contacted.
- All payments are due at the time you pick up your pet from day care. Major credit cards, cash or local checks are accepted. There is a $3 fee for any returned checks.